Liberty County * click for more information
Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew and St. James. The theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence. From it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed. Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb. 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was made Clerk of Inf. and Sup. Courts of Liberty, Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was sworn in as Coroner in 1790.