A beautiful two-story home on Millhaven Plantation, built by Jonathan Gaulden before the Civil War, had long been unoccupied and was in the last stages of deterioration by 1917. There were those people who swore they saw ghosts amid the ruins. Grounds of the old plantation became a popular place for church and civic picnics. Winns Mill Pond, near the home, was used by Baptist churches for baptisms. A trail near the mill pond was known as "Lover's Lane."
From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 78; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office