James Screven received grants of land in Saint Johns, Saint David, and Saint Paul parishes. He established his home on a plantation he called "Screven's Hill," a short distance north of Midway Church and adjacent to "Hall's Knoll," the plantation and home of Lyman Hall. James Screven was a representative from Saint Johns Parish to the Provincial Congress which met at Savannah, Georgia, in July 1775.
He became a member of the Georgia Council of Safety on May 28, 1776, and justice of the quorem. He was commissioned captain of the Saint Johns Rangers when it was instituted in 1776. He was an officer in the Continental Army, but a brigadier general in the Georgia Militia when he was fatally wounded in combat with British troops near Midway Church in 1777.
Fort Screven, a U.S. Army installation on Tybee Island, Georgia, was named in his honor, as was Screven County, Georgia.
From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Appendix Number 39, Page(s); Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office