Business History

 

In the last years of the decade (1930's) Lenieu "Buddy" and Hazel Bagley Carter broadened the scope of casket sales by her father, J.R. Bagley, into an undertaking establishment. It became Carter Funeral Home. During the process Hazel Bagley Carter became the first woman in Georgia to be licensed as a mortician.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 98-99; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

 

Robert Quarterman Cassels built a three-story, brick general store on site of the old Harrison store at McIntosh in 1887. He built a home across the railroad tracks adjacent to the McIntosh railroad depot. In the years just before the turn of the century, the store was known as R.Q. Cassels & Sons Store, and was operated by Cassels and his sons, Frank and A. Gordon Cassels.

 

R.Q. Cassels & Sons Store sold everything from thimbles to farm equipment. It had an elevator from the first to the third floor. There was a cotton gin on the grounds used by farmers for many miles around. Many of them came twice a year in wagon trains with their cotton to be ginned and sold, other farm produce, and livestock and hogs to be sold or bartered. They camped in the adjacent woods.

 

Robert Quarterman Cassels died in 1900. The store was operated from that year to 1928 by Frank and A. Gordon Cassels. After that year the latter son relocated in Savannah, Georgia, where he became prominent in business affairs. 

 

 

The Coastal Bank on East South Street in Hinesville opened for business on December 23, 1954. Its president was R.C. Brooks, its vice president was Charles A. Purser, and its cashier was E.C. Maulden. Its first depositor was "Salty" Hightower.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) Epilogue; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

 

James ("Jim") Wynn became editor and publisher of the newspaper, and it was renamed the Coastal Courier. Wynn was replaced by Bobby Branch (1943-1987) in 1981. Wynn then established and published the Hinesville Star, a weekly newspaper, from August 1981 to April 1982, when it ceased to operate.

 

The Coastal Courier was sold by its owners in 1982 to Morris Newspapers Corporation. Phil R. Byrd became its editor and Randy Norton its publisher. Byrd was replaced by Larry Anderson. Byrd continued work­ing for the newspaper, but died a short time later.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) Epilogue; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

In 1909, Ernest V. Dunlevie of Erie County, New York, purchased two hundred acres of land at Allenhurst, as a sawmill site, from E. P. Miller, a large landowner, for the sum of $500.00.

 

Mr. Dunlevie moved from New York to Allen­hurst to begin his more than a million dollar lumber mill. Accompanying him were his brother, Herbert G. Dunlevie, treasurer of the new Dunlevie Lumber Company, and J.F. Wadsworth, secretary.

 

Within a short time, the executives and over a thousand employees raised the mill to the rank of the second largest in the southeast with an annual payroll of a quarter of a million dollars.

 

 

It was in 1929 that Joseph B. Fraser Jr. established the Fraser Lumber Company at McIntosh. It was located along­side tracks of the Atlantic Coastline Railroad.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 86; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

 

Something new came to Liberty County in 1915 when James R. Bagley established the Hinesville Bottling Company. It manufactured Cheri-Cola and other varieties of soft drinks.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 76; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

 

The motion picture theater in downtown Hinesville closed forever in August 1969. No person worked harder and with more devotion at the theater than Tom Smith of Hines­ville. The theater building became a variety store.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) Epilogue 1941-1984; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

Barney Parker and his brother, Lonnie Parker, established the Hinesville Telephone Company in 1911. They installed their switchboard in one of the offices on the second floor of the building constructed by Joseph B. Way on court­house square in Hinesville in 1910.

 

During its first months of operation, the Hinesville Tele­phone Company strung line from Hinesville to Ludowici, via Allenhurst and Walthourville, and connected with the Ludo­wici Telephone Company and lines of the Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company.

 

LIBERTY COUNTY GEORGIA

liberty1830map

 

Mailing Address

Liberty County Historical Society
PO Box 982
Hinesville, GA  31310

EXPLORE LIBERTY COUNTY HISTORY