Business History

 

The Interstate Paper Corporation, the largest privately owned industry Liberty County had ever had, was established near the North Newport River at Riceboro in 1967.

 

The site of the plant was on the old Montvideo Planatation owned by the Jones Family. Montevideo, a rice plantation on the North Newport River, was owned by the Reverend Charles Colcock Jones, a noted minister and large landowner. He and his family spent the winters there.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) Epilogue; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

James Harford Morgan established the J.H. Morgan Sea­food Company at Sunbury in 1930. He was born at Sunbury in 1899, the son of James Wilson and Eugenia Poppell Morgan, and married Rachel A. Todd, daughter of Eugene and Sular Todd of the Gum Branch community.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 87; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

 

 

J.B. Morgan had just moved his barber shop from upstairs in the Way building on courthouse square to another location just down the street, and was now in business as the Johnson-Morgan Barber Shop. (1917)

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 78-79; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

The original Liberty County paper was the Hinesville Gazette which was started by Samuel Dorse Bradwell, in 1871. In " " it was sold to R.M. Martin and the name was changed to the The Liberty County Herald.  

 

Dorothy E. Martin was the new associate editor of the Liberty County Herald in October 1938. Her father was Robert M. ("Bob") Martin who was editor and publisher of the newspaper from 1893 until his death in 1933. There were short periods of times around World War I when others owned the newspaper, but R.M. Martin always returned and reas­sumed ownership until the Clark's purchased it in the 1933. He had been working there since 1911.

 

In 1940 the Liberty County Herald moved from the old Bradwell Building to 128 S Main Street, in one of the new brick structures.

 

 

Back in the late 1940’s there was a place down by what is now the public boat ramp called the Sunbury Lodge. It had a restaurant, cabins for rent, swimming pool, boat rentals, boat racing events, and an alligator pit.  It was developed by a gentleman named Allen Stevens.  A visionary and a man ahead of his time. Even without a paved road to Sunbury, people came from all over to visit during the season. The fact that it seasonal was an ongoing problem for Stevens and subsequent owners who finally closed it for good in the 60’s.  Someone who was very close to the situation at the time remarked that “after Labor Day you could take a pound of shrimp and feed the world”. 

 


From email by Elaine Maley, Sunbury Crab Company, September 5, 2013

 

 

 

The Hinesville Gazette was established in 1871 by Samuel Dorse  Bradwell. The press was in the upstairs of a two-story wooden building, located across the street in front of the courthouse. Bradwell's father had operated a crude press in his home for a short time.

 

The Gazette, a weekly newspaper, was pub­lished each Monday, and had a wide circulation in surrounding counties. The papers were carried by horse to the Atlantic & Gulf Railroad at McIntosh and thence to Savannah, where they were circu­lated. Others who assisted with the paper in various capacities were D. W. Folsom, E. G. Clif­ton, S. A. Calder, James Bradwell McCall, Newton Andrews and Smart Bradley.

 


From "Liberty County - A  Pictorial History"; Page 129 (s) *

From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page 55 (s) *

 

The Hinesville Ice Company, owned and operated by Henry Lowe, sold sacked ice for 50¢ per 100 pounds in 1917.

 

Frederick W. and Inez Tippins Mingledorff purchased the Hinesville Ice Company in 1938. They established the first public water supply system in Hinesville the same year, and their firm became the Hinesville Ice and Water Company. The population of Hinesville at that time was less than 400.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 79, 98-99; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

Roscoe Denmark  and Sheriff Paul H. Sikes established radio station WGML in 1958. It was the first radio station in the county.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s); Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

LIBERTY COUNTY GEORGIA

liberty1830map

 

Mailing Address

Liberty County Historical Society
PO Box 982
Hinesville, GA  31310

EXPLORE LIBERTY COUNTY HISTORY