1792 Midway Church In The Midway Historic District
Image is not available

Located in Liberty County, Georgia, on Highway 17 between Savannah and Darien. It includes a traditional walled cemetery containing the graves of Revolutionary War patriots and many other historically significant figures

Dorchester Academy founded in 1869
Image is not available

The school was established to educate local freed African-Americans after the American Civil War. The school closed in 1940, at which time most of its then-extant buildings were torn down, leaving only the 1935 boys' dormitory.

Liberty County Courthouse
Image is not available

Built in 1926, it was designed by J. J. Baldwin in the Classical Revival style of architecture. On September 18, 1980, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Slider

 

The Liberty Independent Troop celebrated its 100th anniversary during a round of activities on July 20, 1886, at the Goshen parade ground between Flemington and McIn­tosh. Militia units in Mclntosh, Bryan, Chatham, and Effing­ham counties were invited to attend and take part in the celebration.

 

The militia units started arriving at the Goshen parade ground at three in the afternoon the day before the celebra­tion. The cavalry troops arrived at six. The Chatham Artillery arrived at eight the next morning.

 

An hour after the Chatham Artillery arrived, all of the visiting companies were drawn up in line on the Hinesville­ Midway Road near the parade ground. The Liberty Independ­ent Troop was drawn up in ranks of horses on the parade ground. With flags unfurled, it marched out to meet the visiting companies and formally escort them on to the parade ground.

 

All of the organizations were then drawn up in line on the parade ground facing a wooden grandstand jammed with 3,000 spectators who heard an address by A.S. Way. Re­sponses were made by First Lieutenant John Harmon of the Chatham Artillery, and Joseph William Hughes Jr., captain of the Liberty Guards.

 

There was then a drill and an exhibition of charges by all the organizations there that day. This was followed by a speech by Charles C. Jones Jr. The Chatham Artillery then fired a 100-gun salute at one-minute intervals.

 

In the "tilt" that afternoon, the Georgia Hussars entered two teams, the Liberty Guards two teams, the McIntosh Dragoons one team, and the Liberty Independent Troop three teams. After the contests which lasted until nearly nightfall, the judges awarded the first prize to team one of the Georgia Hussars, the second prize to team two of the Liberty Independent Troop, and the first individual prize to D.R. Keller of the Georgia Hussars.

 

Just after nightfall a square dance was held on a wooden floor built on the parade ground lit by many torches. The music was supplied by musicians all from Liberty County. At nine o'clock, member of the organizations, and their guests, gathered around a long table for a barbecue dinner, with all the trimmings, prepared at the site by members of the Liberty Independent Troop. Songs were sung, many good wishes were exchanged, and many friendships were revived.

 

Members of the Liberty Independent Troop who attended that 100th anniversary celebration were Captain Edward Payson Miller, First Lieutenant Josiah L. Fleming, Second Lieutenant James B. Fraser, Second Lieutenant W.J. Way, First Sergeant W.N. Clark, Second Sergeant E.M. Screven, Third Sergeant Joseph B. Fraser Sr., Fourth Sergeant Willard Preston Waite, Fifth Sergeant W.M. Way, and Privates H.J. Dunham, J.S. Geohagen, W.M. Hanford, William Anderson Jones, J.M. Jones, F.W. Law, John Lyons, Thomas S. Mal­lard, H.E. Martin, P.F. Martin, Lewis Quarterman, L.B. Rahn, W.M. Stevens, C.W. Stevens, S.A. Sims, A.S. Way, A.H. Waite, H.G. Waite, J.B. Way, J.W. Winn, and W.F. Winn.

 

Just how members of the Liberty Independent Troop arrived at the date of June 20, 1786, as the date of its or­ganization is uncertain. It was actually organized in 1785.

 

The 100th anniversary celebration of the Liberty Inde­pendent Troop was the last military function Joseph William Hughes Jr. ever attended. He died the following year, was replaced as captain of the Liberty Guards by John Miller Darsey, and was buried in the Hughes family cemetery near the family home at Jones Creek. Members of the Liberty Guards erected a marker at his grave which read: "Our Cap­tain. In honor of one who led us bravely in war and gave us the highest example of the Christian soldier and patriotic citizen this tribute is erected. The Liberty Guards." Joseph William Hughes III was the last captain of the Liberty Guards, while his son, Joseph H. Hughes, was its last first sergeant.  

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 60-61; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office 

 

 

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Its free to join the Liberty County Historical Society and help us discover and preserve our Liberty County History. Please join by signing up for our newsletter as shown below. Thank you for helping and being a part of Liberty County History!

 

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )