1792 Midway Church In The Midway Historic District
Image is not available

Located in Liberty County, Georgia, on Highway 17 between Savannah and Darien. It includes a traditional walled cemetery containing the graves of Revolutionary War patriots and many other historically significant figures

Dorchester Academy founded in 1869
Image is not available

The school was established to educate local freed African-Americans after the American Civil War. The school closed in 1940, at which time most of its then-extant buildings were torn down, leaving only the 1935 boys' dormitory.

Liberty County Courthouse
Image is not available

Built in 1926, it was designed by J. J. Baldwin in the Classical Revival style of architecture. On September 18, 1980, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Slider

 

 After the war of 1812, the Liberty Independent Troop emerged as the Liberty Troop of Horse. the only volunteer militia unit in Liberty County to continue in existence. The general militia companies, of course, continued to exist as well.

 

Origin of the Liberty Independent Troop was the "Vol­unteer Troop of Dragoons" formed in February 1785 and attached that same year to the Liberty County Regiment of Militia to take part in the Creek Indian Wars.

 

The first commander of the Volunteer Troop of Dra­goons was Captain John Berrien. He served for six months and then was transferred to Savannah, Georgia, where he was given the captaincy of a Troop of Horse militia in that city. William McIntosh Jr. became its second captain on August 24, 1785.

 

Members of the Volunteer Troop of Dragoons furnished their own uniforms, equipment, and mount which they stabled at their homes. The state provided little more than arms and ammunition. They received pay only when they were on active duty, but not for musters, as it was their lawful duty to serve. All of these conditions continued even after the unit became the Liberty Independent Troop. Mem­bers of the unit elected a captain and lieutenants from their number, who selected the non-commissioned officers and a clerk.

 

The first place of muster and parade ground of the Liber­ty Independent Troop was the race track of the Liberty County Jockey Club near Riceboro. It also took part in special events around the county on parade grounds con­structed and maintained by residents of communities in which the facilities were located. It celebrated each Inde­pendence Day at Sunbury until 1833.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 27; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office

 

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Its free to join the Liberty County Historical Society and help us discover and preserve our Liberty County History. Please join by signing up for our newsletter as shown below. Thank you for helping and being a part of Liberty County History!

 

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )