Liberty County's First Airport (1939)

 

John Gibbs established the first commercial airport in Liberty County in 1939. It was located on land Gibbs leased from B.M. Day near the Flemington Presbyterian Church.

 

Gibbs developed a landing strip, which later became Liberty Field at Camp Stewart, constructed a hangar, and became a pilot. He bought a one-engine, open-cockpit airplane, and flew it to Liberty County from the factory. He gave flying lessons to all who applied, and opened nego­tiations with commercial airlines to make air travel possible from Liberty County to any part of the world.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 102; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office