Walthourville Academy (1823)

 

Walthourville Academy

Walthourville Academy was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1823. Its first commissioners were Samuel J. Axson, Brigadier General Daniel Stewart, Thomas Bacon, Thomas Mallard, and Samuel Smith. The school house was built on property donated for the purpose by Andrew Walt­hour. The first headmaster was Edward Pyncheon.

 


From "Sweet Land of Liberty, A History of Liberty County, Georgia" by Robert Long Groover; Page(s) 27-31; Used by the permission of the Liberty County Commissioners Office